Friday 26 October 2012

**Chosen music video

I've been everywhere, man
Looking for someone
Someone who can please me
Love me all night long
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for you babe
Looking for you babe
Searching for you babe
Where have you been
Cause I never see you out
Are you hiding from me, yeah?
Somewhere in the crowd
Where have you been,
All my life, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for someone
Someone who can please me
Love me all night long
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for you babe
Looking for you babe
Searching for you babe
Where have you been
Cause I never see you out
Are you hiding from me, yeah?
Somewhere in the crowd
Where have you been,
All my life, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
Where have you been, all my life
You can have me all you want
Any way, any day
To show me where you are tonight
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for someone
Someone who can please me
Love me all night long
I've been everywhere, man
Looking for you babe
Looking for you babe
Searching for you babe

For this music video we will be considered specific micro-elements such as our iconography. We will be considering this in order to portray successful conventions in the pop genre. We are currently planning our outfits, juxtaposing the stereotypical glamorous female with army clothes, face paint and mud as we search for someone, relating to the title 'Where have you been'. As you can see this has been inspired from Rihannas where have you been music video as she has selected a dessert climate, following a tribal theme as she dances. We are hoping to use a forest scene or maze in order to reveal the searching aspect. Our music video will also have ambiguous interpretations as two personas will be created, the army persona portraying animalistic qualities as if hunting.

The music video focuses on the aspect of voyeurism and searching,  this is portrayed through close ups and extreme close ups of eyes and Rihannas face to the notion of being watched. Voyeurism is used in order to sexualise Rihanna, exploiting her body as she walks out of the water.  This is specific to conventions used in pop/dance music videos and especially Rihannas, however looking is continuously portrayed throughout this video in order to connect with the lyrics. The lyrics do have a sexual meaning which is exploited through the change of scene- 'someone who can please me, love me all night long', suggesting a switch in mood portraying lust with a close up of her lips, slower dance moves which exploit more of a sensual dance,  element of control.
The music video opens with a close up of ripples of water, suggesting tranquility however due to the low key lighting and navy water further connotes the mystery and searching for the unknown. Rihanna emerges from the water, travelling slowly with a close up of her eyes to suggest 'searching'. The theme of this scene appears animalistic, as if Rihanna is a crocodile hunting in the water, searching for her pray, therefore she moves cautiously as if in stealth mode. As she moves and rises from the water it reveals unclear close ups which could be of scales or reptile type skin, perhaps she is is evolving, this again reflects the animalistic theme in this scene. She does stand up which shows her outfit appearing jungle like and reflecting that of a crocodile theme, instantly distorting the viewers perception.
 Rihanna appears to switch between two themes conveying two different personas from water to show searching to a tribal theme which purely focuses on dance, the focus on her is emphasised through split screens during parts of the chorus to connect the audience to her emotions. Initially the close up of her face from the water merges into her tribal themed face suggesting the possible surrounding. The dance genre is expressed through this due to the performance based dancing but also due to the edits used; the slight zooming and vibrating effect of the scene as if shaking exaggerates the beat leading up to the intensity of the drop.
We must make sure to consider the editing process, in order to portray a dance element as we are not dancing but we can add focus on the beat itself through parallel cut scenes with the beat or the splitting of screens, this will be challenging as we are producing a narrative based genre.
















analyse lyrics of chosen song and consider micro elements for our music video that we could use

1 comment:

  1. You have made a start in analysing the lyrics to your chosen song. You have also started to consider the representation too, but you need to consider your own interpretation of the video and how you will create a conventional music video.

    Firstly consider the style of your video and then the micro elements

    ReplyDelete